The Society serves, represents, and speaks for scholars of the history of East Asian science, technology, and medicine worldwide. It was founded on 4 August 1990, on the occasion of the Sixth International Conference on the History of Science in China, held in Cambridge, UK. It also constitutes the East Asia Commission of the International Union for History and Philosophy of Science and Technology – Division of History of Science and Technology (IUHPST-DHST).
The Society’s activities consist of:
- organizing a plenary conference every few years; the next conference (15th ICHSEA) will take place August 19-23 (Monday through Friday) in Jeonju, Republic of Korea, at Chonbuk National University;
- seeking support for conferences and other activities from international organisations;
- finding means to aid scholars to enter the field;
- sponsoring publication of refereed research reports and monographs;
- publishing a journal, East Asian Science, Technology and Medicine (currently edited by Catherine Jami, EHESS, Paris, France).
President: Yunli SHI
Vice-President: Jongtae LIM
Secretary: Chengsheng SUN
Treasurer: Florence BRETELLE-ESTABLET
Journal Editor: Catherine JAMI
Current Board Members
The society is governed by a Board, whose membership is currently as follows:
University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, China.
Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea.
Institute for the History of Natural Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China.
CNRS & Université Paris Diderot, Paris, France.
CNRS & EHESS, Paris, France.
Former Board Members
Former officers are listed in the following order:
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Journal Editor, ICHSEA liaison officer
Nathan Sivin, Ke Jun, Christopher Cullen, Georges Métailié, Benjamin A. Elman, Hashimoto Keizo
Nakayama Shigeru, Chen Meidong, Peter Golas, Catherine Jami, Benjamin A. Elman, Kim Yung Sik
Catherine Jami, Sun Xiaochun, Tsukahara Togo, Catherine Despeux, Hans Ulrich Vogel, Alan Chan, Kam Leung
Kim Yung Sik, Han Qi, Bridie Andrews, Annick Guénel, Hans Ulrich Vogel, JiangXiaoyuan
Liu Dun, Bridie Andrews, Michele Thompson, Annick Guénel, Hans Ulrich Vogel, Paul Unschuld
Christopher Cullen, Zhang Baichun, Fan Fa-ti, Vera Dorofeeva-Lichtmann, Hans Ulrich Vogel, Marta Hanson
Paul Unschuld, MeiJianjun, Lim Jongtae, Christopher Cullen, Hans Ulrich Vogel, Shi Yunli
Mei Jianjun, Shi Yunli, Jiang-Ping Jeff Chen, Caroline Bodolec, Hans Ulrich Vogel (up to March 2017), Catherine Jami
Marta Hanson, Alexei Volkov, Jiří Hudeček, Florence Bretelle-Establet, Shin Dong Won